Your Cable Commissioner: Bob Nuffort and Alternate, Joanne Frane
Originally Dellwood was a part of Grant Township. It became a part of Lincoln Township when the new township was organized in 1918. Over the years Mahtomedi, Willernie, Birchwood, and Pine Springs split from Lincoln Township. The township disappeared when its last community reorganized as the City of Dellwood in 1993.
The area near White Bear Lake began to be settled in the early 1850s, mostly by people moving out from St. Paul. James M. Goodhue, editor of the Minnesota Pioneer, published in St. Paul, was an early booster of the region. In 1850 he wrote “…in all directions around White-bear lake, Speculation is turning its eager eye—a beautiful region, of rich land, diversified with meadows, hills, valleys, oak-openings, lakes, timber and partial prairies.”
The region received another impetus to settlement in 1870 when the Stillwater & St. Paul Railroad was completed around the north end of White Bear Lake and across Grant. In the days before automobiles and good roads, Twin Citians depended upon the railroads to take them to their summer places. The community was also reached from Stillwater and White Bear Lake by the old Indian trail that became the first public road in the area, now Dellwood Avenue (Highway 96). By 1900 the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie (Soo Line) had also crossed the northern part of Dellwood.